Wednesday, July 11, 2012

                        Screams in the night

I don't know if I should say good evening or good morning, because it's about 2 a.m.

About an hour ago I was resting peacefully when I was waken by an awful noise in the backyard. I don't know who jumped out of bed quicker me or hubby, but those great watch dogs never said a word.(grin)

We had a coon get into the turkey pen a couple nights ago and we lost one turkey so we had secured all the coops.

I grabbed the flash light and ran down back. No shoes. I followed the feathers down through the woods. At some point I had to stop because my husband was yelling and I couldn't hear him. I stopped looked around thick in the woods I was standing on the old dump from when there was another house here like 100 years ago.

O.K it's the middle of the night I'm standing in the woods on broken glass in my bare feet and there's a man standing in my backyard yelling at me trying to tell me" There's no way it's a turkey or chicken the coops are all secure." Sure that coon must have hauled off a screaming pigeon!!  

I finally had to give up and go back up to the yard. I checked all three coops, and counted heads. Don't know what good that does I don't even know how many I have (except the turkeys) I went back and checked the feathers. Red and White!! I must have left one of my laying hens out because my in-laws were here when I locked them up this evening and I didn't double check.

So here I sit in the middle of the night wide awake with one less hen and dirty feet. The Homesteading Life is always fun.

Well people that's enough excitement for one day. 

              Good night all or should I say Good morning(smile)     


1 comment: