Wednesday, July 4, 2012

                               Eating Local

Happy 4th of July everyone!

We started our journey on buying local food, however we have decided to change it to buying food from Maine because we have an older gentleman from down on the coast who comes up and sells seafood, which we very much enjoy and we're supporting  the person we're buying it from. Also we travel down state a lot and it's so hard to pass those road side stands with fresh fruits and veg's. I'm still talking with in a 3 hour range so that's still local.

That said for the next six months we will only be buying local food and eating from the pantry. So far it's been easy, a little more thinking ahead and making sure I've taken something from the freezer but not hard. Now we are allowing five things a month that are not local in case I need flour, sugar, oil etc.

Last night we had grilled hamburgers(local grown beef out of the freezer) and new potato's and peas from a local farmer and strawberry glaze pie(yum) Strawberries I picked.

Today we will be traveling so I made a batch of brownies and we're taking crab meat sandwiches (crab meat from the man who sells fish, bread from a local bakery. Yes I normally make my own bread but have been very busy)

So we've started wish me luck (smile)

Hope you all have a wonderful day.

                                                 Janice


1 comment:

  1. This will definitely make it easier for you. Joe and I always try to buy local or make it/grow it ourselves. There's a lot of satisfaction in that. Best of luck to you and have a safe and happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete